Thursday, September 16, 2010

Think Before Criticizing

As I have mentioned before, I am going through the book Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders.

I just finished reading a chapter on 'The Cost of Leadership' where the author mentioned that no leader lives a day without criticism.

While I would like to describe myself as someone who is able to take criticism without being hurt - the reality is a different story. It is REALLY hard for me to receive criticism when I do not trust the person who is criticizing me. I can quickly become defensive and discouraged.

Oswald writes:

"Link indifference to human opinion with a weak spiritual life, and the formula is disaster. The same independence from human opinion can be a valuable asset to the person whose life goal is the glory of God. Paul's ear was tuned to the voice of God, and human voices were faint by comparison. He was fearless of human judgement, because he was conscious of standing before a higher tribunal."

How I long to be tuned to the voice of God! How I long to live my life knowing that I need not to worry about what everyone is thinking - because I KNOW that I am pleasing the Lord.

However, I feel convicted that as a friend, coworker, wife, sister, daughter...I too need to make sure that my criticisms of others are not stabbing knives with motivations to kill the spirit. There is such a thing as constructive criticism, but not all criticism is constructive.

"There is noting else that so kills the efficiency, capability and initiative of a leader as destructive criticism...It tends to hamper and undercut the efficiency of man's thinking process. It chips away at his self-respect and undermines his confidence in his ability to cope with his responsibilities." J. Oswald Sanders

In other words, we have the power to either encourage or discourage others. Let's use our mouths as instruments of encouragement so that those around us may be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the insight, Danielly. I know from recent experience that even the best intentioned critiques, delivered without thoughtfulness and love, can weigh heavy on a person's spirit. It is good to be reminded of that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails