Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Project Complete!

After a long process...the coffee table is done!!! I am not sure I ever want to finish a furniture again, but I must admit that I never thought this table was going to look this good.

Thank you sister for the beautiful table! Thank you also for doing all the sanding!

For those of you who have never finished a furniture before, here are the steps we had to follow in order to attain the right look. (I should mention that when we started the staining process, the wood was unfinished - we did not have to strip it).

  1. Sand

  2. Apply wood conditioner

  3. Wait 8 hours for conditioner to dry

  4. Sand

  5. Apply coat of stain

  6. Wait 8 hours for stain to dry

  7. Apply coat of finish

  8. Wait 8 hours for the finish to dry

  9. Sand

  10. Apply a second coat of finish

  11. Wait 2 hours for the finish to dry

  12. Sand

  13. Apply a third coat of finish

  14. Wait 2 hours for finish to dry

  15. Put table back together!
Unfinished poplar wood

Sanding...my least favorite part

Half way stained
Applying finish coat

Drying
In my living room :)

It is perfect!

Oh, my sister made me this candle holder as well!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Deborah has some serious skills. That looks perfect in your living room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Deborah! Make some more and post 'em on Craigslist and make a website too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails