Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thou Shalt Not Covet

The tenth Commandment continues to challenge me beyond understanding. Today I am confessing that being jealous of others is the ‘thorn in my side.’ The sin that sneaks in and tries to take over my heart. The sin that humbles me and strengthens my prayer life. The sin that keeps me close to Jesus as I am constantly reminded that I need a Savior.

There are times in life that I feel completely satisfied and thankful for the life I have. However, there are times that I forget to count my blessings and start counting others people’s blessings instead. I notice the cool things going on in other people’s lives and I start comparing myself to them. Eventually, I start wanting to live their lives. I start wanting their house, their children, their vacations, their cameras, their jobs, their friends…the list goes on and on.

Lately, I have felt jealous of some people who are close to me. I wish I had their talent, I wish I had their opportunities…

While thinking about all the things I wish I had, I decided to write the post below – as a reminder of the things that I am thankful for. Not surprisingly, I have a lot to be thankful for! Still, the feelings of jealousy remain and once again I am reminded that I am in constant need of God’s grace, mercy and forgiveness.

Once again I am reminded that I need to trust God and seek first His kingdom. I am reminded that God has a plan and a purpose for my life – and that plan and purpose is unique. It will not look like the plan and purpose he has for everyone I know. I am reminded to ask, seek, knock.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” Matthew 7:7-11


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails