Monday, October 18, 2010

Who's your Master?

I watched the movie Invictus for the second time last night. Since it was a cold night and all I wanted to do was wrap myself in a really warm blanket and John had not seen it yet, we decided to rent it. It was a good movie to watch together.


Invictus is inspiring and above all, I love its message of forgiveness and reconciliation. I admire Mandela and all that he has done for his country and for this world. I love how his message parallel’s the teachings of Jesus Christ.


However, the more I think about what the poem ‘Invictus’ actually means, the more I realize that its message is far, very far from Jesus’ teachings. As a matter of fact, one cannot be a follower of Christ and follow this poem’s mission.


Invictus
by William Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
I must admit, there is something very attractive about being the master of one’s fate and the captain of one’s soul. I myself like to step into that position again and again. I like to be on the driver’s seat. I like to do as I please. I like to be my own master. However, I cannot be a follower of Jesus and remain my own master.


Joshua 24:15 clearly states:
‘Choose this day whom you will serve.’


But I cannot choose to serve two masters. I cannot be my own master and invite Jesus to be a part of my life. I must give up one or the other.  


From experience, I know that I make a horrible master. I often lack wisdom, love, grace, mercy, discernment… and more often than not I am selfish, jealous and prideful. Recognizing my weaknesses and failures, I came to the decision long ago that I cannot be the master of my fate and the captain of my soul.


Here is a poem that better explains the reality of my life:


Conquered
by Dorothea Day

Out of the light that dazzles me,
Bright as the sun from pole to pole,
I thank the God I know to be,
For Christ – the Conqueror of my soul.
Since His the sway of circumstance,
I would not wince nor cry aloud.
Under the rule which men call chance,
My head, with joy, is humbly bowed.
Beyond this place of sin and tears,
That Life with Him and His the Aid,
That, spite the menace of the years,
Keeps, and will keep me unafraid.
I have no fear though straight the gate:
He cleared from punishment the scroll.
Christ is the Master of my fate!
Christ is the Captain of my soul!
I choose Christ to be the master of my fate and the captain of my soul.
Isaiah 43: 1-3
But now, this is what the LORD says—
       he who created you, O Jacob,
       he who formed you, O Israel:
       "Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
       I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
 When you pass through the waters,
       I will be with you;
       and when you pass through the rivers,
       they will not sweep over you.
       When you walk through the fire,
       you will not be burned;
       the flames will not set you ablaze.

 For I am the LORD, your God,
       the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails