Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Enjoying Every Step

I recently realized something about myself that I wish were not true. But for the sake of being open and honest, I decided to share it with you all.

Truth: I am all about the results.

Let me explain. I do a lot of things in life only because of the results.

Example Number 1: Hiking
While many hike because it is a great way to stay active while being outside, I hike because I want to know what the view is like from up there. Needless to say, when I hike a whole mountain only to a cloud – the day is not a happy one.

Example Number 2: Exercising
I always wanted to be one of those devoted Seattleites that go on a run even if the city is flooding due to rain. Really, I wish I was that dedicated to my body and health. Instead, I complain that I have to go outside every single day to exercise. I daydream about living in a world where we would be naturally fit. The only reason I exercise is because I know it is good for me. If you read Brain Rules you will know what I am talking about. Well, I also like what I see way more when I am exercising…

Example number 3: Cleaning
I have a friend who loves washing the dishes. I don’t understand why anyone would enjoy washing the dishes. I only clean because I like the final result. I like it when my home smells clean, when all the laundry is done and folded. I like it when I can see my own reflection on the wooden floor. I like it when I step into a bathtub that has no soap scum on the sides. But I certainly do not like cleaning any of these things.

Are you beginning to see a pattern here? Really, I am learning that I miss out on many opportunities because all I care about is the final result of whatever it is that I am doing.

So, it is time to make some changes in the attitude department of my life. I am going to work on finding joy in every step of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails