Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Discovering Marriage

I went to the doctor for my annual physical yesterday - and believe it or not, I would rather go have a physical than go to the dentist...

Anyways, my doctor informed me that since I have been married for more than two years, I am no longer a newlywed. I broke the news to John as soon as I saw him.

Since we got married, John has expressed the desire to remain newlyweds for as long as we both shall live. I told him that we cannot be NEWlyweds when we are no longer new to each other. With a difference in opinion about how long is too long for a couple to be newlyweds, we are constantly asking people their opinion on the subject. We even asked John Gottman to define newlyweds when we attended his marriage seminar back in May.

The funny thing is that everyone has a different definition for the term newlyweds. Some say 5 years and others say 6 months. Some say the newlywed stage is over after kids come and some say it is over way before that. I find this topic fascinating! How is it that we are all so used to hearing/reading/using this term and yet we all define it differently?

I know that John's desire is to remain in love. The kind of love that makes your heart skip a beat when in the presence of your sweetheart. He wants to always grow, never stop learning and always look forward to the next day together.

I may not always call us 'newlyweds' - but I too want to continue discovering marriage with my best friend and husband. I want to strive to be the best wife I can be for him. I want to cherish every moment together. I want to fall in love all over again every time I remember the day we both said I Do.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with John.

    I desire...want...hope that Jae and I can be newlyweds (in my definition) until the day we die. Let our hearts skip a beat until both of us get so old that it's time to fade out of this world and into Heaven. The love to be passionate with each other.... the love where it's impossible to get "tired" or "bored" of each other... the love where we *want* to hang out ALL THE TIME.... the love that is beyond the love that is expressed in the Notebook.... the love where we challenge each other until our hearts stop beating.

    Good post Danielly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails