Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Taming the Tongue

“Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” Proverbs 12:18

Is this verse speaking to you today?

This verse captured my attention years ago, when I first found it in the bible. However, more recently I have been thinking about its meaning: words have power.

Being more of an extrovert who thrives among people, I am a person of many words. I said my first word when I was only 9 months old. Since I was a child, I have had something to say or an opinion to share.

But I am learning to hold my tongue when I have nothing nice to say.

Looking back at my adolescent years, I remember using my words as a weapon. I knew just what to say to leave my parents angry and even speechless. I knew which words to use to put my brother down. I knew what to say to make my sister cry. I knew that when I wanted to hurt someone, I could use words.

As I began to know God in a more intimate way, I was convicted of this sinful pattern. I prayed that God would teach me to control my tongue. I didn’t want to lash out hurtful words when I felt hurt. I didn’t want to say things that I meant at that moment but didn’t really mean in my heart.

God has been faithful and the Holy Spirit is a wonderful guide, but I am still learning.

This process has been slow and hard. For many years I felt like I moved forward five steps only to move backwards three steps again. There is a battle within me and I know that only with God’s help I can be victorious against my sinful nature.

When I get in an argument I am still tempted to say the first thing that comes to my head. I still catch myself thinking some nasty things about the other person. I still want to defend myself no matter what.

But I am learning to turn to God before speaking.

Getting married has pushed me in this area of life because I do not want my reckless words to pierce a giant hole in my marriage.

When John and I cannot agree about something and I notice that a conversation is turning into an argument I stop talking and simply pray. I pray that God would give me his wisdom, love, patience and grace. I pray that he would mold my heart and alter my thoughts. I pray that he would transform me from the inside out.

This is a slow learning process, but I want to keep learning.

My desire is to use my words to the glory of God. I want to speak out of love. I want to have wise words that bring healing. I want my words to be a fountain of encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails