Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hungry All the Time

John and I have been working on our eating habits.

It is not that we eat too much fast food or anything like that. In fact, we rarely eat out. I cook all our meals and John is a great helper in the kitchen. Cooking together is something we do to reconnect after a day away from each other.

However, since we have not been disciplined about exercising, we decided to start eating smaller portions. I am also making lighter meals so we cut back on carbohydrates.

As a result, I am hungry all the time.

Yesterday we had a bowl of delicious butternut squash soup. Two hours later I felt just as hungry as I was before eating the soup.

We headed out to Home Group (a church bible study) and ate some yummy cold pasta - a treat from one of the Home Group's members. The problem was that one little bowl of pasta didn't seem enough. While John went back for seconds, I tried to resist the temptation and stop myself. But in reality, I didn't want to stop myself and seeing John eat the delicious pasta made me frustrated because I wanted some too, but I didn't want to break the plan.

This situation lead to a good conversation on our way home. I was still hungry and annoyed that I was hungry. John was hungry too - but at least he had enjoyed more pasta than me. In the middle of this frustration I shared with him that I need support in order to stick to the plan. I can't count on myself to be self controlled all the time - at least not in these beginning stages of change. We agreed that we would both work harder to encourage each other and lead by example. I am so glad we can work on this together!

We got home, worked a little bit and got ready to go to sleep. As we laid in bed we both commented that we were hungry. Eventually we fell asleep.

I woke up this morning and the firs thing I heard was my stomach. Seriously!

This goal of eating less is going to be interesting...but at least it is a challenge we get to face as a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails