Friday, April 30, 2010

Allegiance to God

I am currently doing a study on prayer, the Lord’s Prayer to be exact.

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

The second sentence: “Thy kingdom come” has never made much sense to me. I just assumed that it went along with the next sentence: “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

However, I am learning that “Your kingdom come” really is a confirmation in prayer of our allegiance to the sovereign rule of the kingdom of God above all else – of our desire for God’s visible rule upon the earth.

Kay Arthur, the author of Lord Teach me to Pray, goes on to point out that “Instead of living in total obedience, unwavering allegiance to His kingdom and His reign as King in our lives, we are double minded, desiring the best of both worlds, forgetting that “our citizenship is in heaven, from which we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Phil. 3:20).

How convicted I am!

Again and again I find that my allegiance is to the furtherance of my ambitions, my welfare, my comforts, my likes and dislikes…

It is easy for me to find time to do the things I want to do, things that I like to do. Yet, I forget to read the Word and spend time with God. Worse yet, I decide that I am going to do the things I want to do first and if there is enough time, I will read a little bit of the Bible. Making the decision to read the Bible later has caused me to be behind on my prayer study (3 days behind).

I think it is time to change the routine and create a priority list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails