Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Knowing God by Name

The bible mentions God by many different names, depending on the specific aspects of His character.

Since I was very young, I enjoyed learning the different names of God - but I didn't really know what they meant.

While doing the study Lord Teach Me to Pray by Kay Arthur I found a list of the names of God and I have gone back to that list many times since I first read this book a year ago.

Check this out!

  • Elohim Genesis 1:1 Creator
  • El Elyon Genesis 14:18-20 The Most High (Sovereign)
  • Jehovah-Tsidkenu Jeremiah 23:6 The Lord our Righteousness
  • Jehovah-Jirah Genesis 22:14 The Lord with provide
  • Jehovah-Roi Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my Shepherd
  • Jehovah-Shalom Judges 6:24 The Lord is peace
  • Jehovah-Nissi Exodus 17:15 The Lord is my Banner
  • Jehovah-Rophe Exodus 15:26 The Lord who heals
  • Jehovah-Shammah Ezekiel 48:35 The Lord is there
  • Jehovah-Sabaoth I Samuel 1:3-11 The Lord of hosts

The Bible tells us "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe." Proverbs 18:10

Which name from the chart deals with where you are today?

For me, the Lord is my peace (Jehovah-Shalom).

1 comment:

  1. Since discipline and forming solid foundational habits are my focus right now, the name "Jehovah-Roi (The Lord is my Shepherd)" resonates most with me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails