Wednesday, November 4, 2009

What Am I Passionate About?

While listening to Jesus the One and Only bible study, John asked me what am I passionate about.

To tell you the truth, I am not very good at answering the kind of question that makes me think about what I value. However, I was surprised by how fast the answer to that question came out of my mouth.

'People,' I said.

I have not always been a people person - and many times I still prefer the silence that exists when I am alone. As a matter of fact, the more time I spend by myself, the less I want to be with people. The ironic part of all of this is that I am by no means shy or an introvert.

Unable to explain why I am passionate about people, I came to the conclusion that I can only have this passion because of Jesus. You see, by myself I am not loving enough, patient enough, understanding enough or forgiving enough to be passionate about people. Yet, as I mature in my faith I continue to discover that I am more and more passionate about what God called 'very good.'

It breaks my heart to see people in pain (physical, spiritual, emotional or relational pain). The thought or sight of poverty, hunger and diseases can easily bring tears to my eyes - not because these situations are sad, but because they are tragic.

God's plan for his creation was a perfect plan and we are so far away from that plan that it is hard to imagine what the world would be like without sin. Yet, in the middle of a desperate world, there is hope and there is peace.

I don't know what my life will look like in the years to come, but I hope to make it a goal to be God's instrument in bringing hope and peace to all who accept it.

You see, I believe that if I am going to be passionate about the things that Jesus is passionate about, I better start acting like him. This is harder to do than to say - but I pray that God will give me wisdom and direction.

My desire is to learn to serve like Jesus served and to love like he loved - and this is a HUGE task.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails