Friday, September 4, 2009

A Life Worth Living

Yesterday my husband, John, and I had a great talk about learning from our mistakes and applying the lessons learned to life in its present form.

He mentioned a quote that he heard at a talk at work:

"The unexamined life is not worth living." Socrates

I agreed with the quote's implications and thought that the idea presented here was a great example of what we were discussing.

However, while talking about this quote we got to a certain point in conversation that challenged me in a big way.

John asked:

Is an un-designed life worth examining?
Is a purposeless life worth designing?

I realized that while perhaps I should - I do not plan or design life thinking about its purpose. Many times I do what I enjoy and try to stay away from lessons/moments/situations that are uncomfortable. In search for the things that please my desires and wants I may altogether be missing the point of life.

It is so easy to forget the reason for which God gave me breath and brought me into this world. The truth is that I aught not to live to please myself, but instead to bring glory to the name of the Lord. If I am not planning life to fulfill that purpose, my life is indeed not worth being designed.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh, i so agree with what you said about planning things with our own happiness in mind rather than bringing glory to God. I have felt like that a lot recently. I feel like I have had so many decisions to make recently because I don't have a set routine and it is just a new phase of life. And i realized that although I have been praying about the decisions a lot I mostly pray that I would do what is best for ME, not God's kingdom. ugh, i felt so silly when i realized what i was doing. I thought that I was doing a good job of being intentional because i was always asking god to do. However, my intentions focused mostly only on my well being. I want to get out of that habit. I really do. I am sure that my life would look differently but the decisions would bring mores discomfort (you are right). we should talk about this more when we can skype or something. love you and thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails