Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In the Kitchen

Since I tried my mother-in-law's fabulous dinner rolls, I have been wanting to make some really bad.

What stopped me?

The fear that they were not going to turn out to be as good as the ones I tried.

Thanks to John's encouragement, I decided to make some and see what would happen. The first time was a failure. I put the rolls in the oven and thought I had enough time to take a shower.

I was wrong.

The rolls were clearly overcooked and I got so sad I almost cried. I know this may sound dramatic, but I had built up this excitement and expectation - only to to find out that what I had made was far from the delicious, melt in your mouth rolls.

John, being the wonderful husband that he is, encouraged me to just try it again. I hesitantly agreed to give it another try - just one more time.

The results?

Splendid!!!

I ended up making 24 rolls that were rapidly consumed at our family vacation.

rolls after rising for an hour


butter and garlic glaze

overcooked rolls

try number 2 - perfect and ready to be eaten


I thought these were so good that I want to try baking different kinds of breads. We'll see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. Wait a minute... those are my mom's rolls! Ha ha... hence "my mother-in-law's" rolls! I'm with you though, i have never attempted my mom's rolls because they wouldn't turn out the same! BTW... my mom overcooks the rolls often - you'll see - so don't feel too bad! :)
    JenA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielly, I am so glad you tried again! Failure is so hard but it is rarely the end of the story. They seriously look de-freaking-licious. Can we add this to the list of things we will eat when we are together again in Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camille, here is the list so far:
    -chicken Marbella
    -pasta with pesto
    -banana bread
    -brownies
    -dinner rolls

    Let the list continue!

    Also, thank you Jen and Camille for your encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails