Monday, September 14, 2009

Back from the Apple Land

I got back from a family vacation yesterday - and brought with me a ridiculous amount of apples! By "ridiculous" I mean: 75 pounds of apples.




My husband, John, LOVES these apples and he would do just about anything to get his hands on one of these. According to him, these apples taste like candy - and they are the best apples he has ever had. By the way, he no longer eats apples from the grocery store. Instead, he lives the whole year waiting for September to come around so we can go get these apples.

However, this apple-picking trip taught me a simple and yet meaningful lesson:
Even the best things in life must be consumed in moderation
Although some research shows that eating an apple a day can reduce risk of Alzheimer' s, might help keep your skin from wrinkling, promotes hair growth, and may protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer development - we cannot live on apples alone.
John learned this lesson after eating three apples in one afternoon and feeling like his heart was running a marathon.
While nutritionists suggest that a person should consume an average of 40 grams of sugar a day - a person eating three large apples is consuming 69 grams of sugar on apples alone. That is the equivalent of eating 18 cubes of sugar!

Moral of the story: even the really good things (that we might want without limits) are not good or healthy if consumed in excess.
Although I find it easy to talk about eating apples in moderation - because I don't even like apples - I am finding that I still have to learn this lesson when it comes to many other areas in life. As far as I know, the only thing that should be consumed without any worry of moderation is the word of God. Everything else should have its limits.
P.S. I am thoroughly enjoying the apples' sweet perfume that continues to invade every inch and corner of the house!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Though I'll still eat as many apples as I can until they run out, you make a very good point about moderation. Now that we've pinpointed an area where I can practice moderation, is there a specific area that you are focusing on?

    P.S. Since there are a limited number of hours in the day, even reading God's Word should be done in moderation, lest we turn into monks and completely disengage from life in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are areas I need to practice moderation as well. Here is one: the amount of time I spend on a computer - especially when I am just browsing around and not really getting anything done. This area definitely needs moderation!

    As for reading God's word...
    I see your point, but I doubt many people struggle with spending too much time in the word and not enough time engaging in life. Something tells me that the world and its distractions own most of our time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for reading God's word...
    Yup, good point. Just tossing out an "extreme" to keep us thinking. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails