Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pregnancy #1: First Trimester

The first trimester was very uneventful which I considered to be a blessing! John and I kept looking at each other with giggles as we got used to the idea that we were going to become parents.
  • I felt extremely tired and could easily sleep most of the day if I let myself.
  • Food smells were not appealing and it was hard to come up with meals that sounded good - but because salads don't smell like anything, we ended up eating lots of fruit and veggies.
  • It was SO fun to share the baby news with family and friends! Those of you who know me, know that I am not very good at keeping secrets, so I wanted to tell complete strangers that we were having a baby.
  • I never experienced morning sickness and never vomited. Praise God!
  • Our 8 weeks ultrasound showed this blueberry size baby that had a perfect heartbeat and both John and I were fascinated that a little person was growing inside of me.
  • John referred to the baby as 'he' and I kept reminding him that he could not speak gender into existence. He thought it would be easier to raise a boy than a girl...and I realized that if we had a girl, she was never going to be able to date. :)
  • We decided to give birth at the local Birth Center with a midwife.
  • I expected to start looking pregnant right away and was surprised that my body showed no signs of being pregnant.
  • John and I started being more intentional about having weekly Date Nights, knowing that we would soon have to share our precious alone time with a little one.
  • I felt tempted to start buying things for the baby, but I fought the temptation with the intention of only getting what we need (with a few splurges!). Our goal is to keep things simple.
  • I continued exercising despite feeling tired and even enjoyed a few hikes and snowshoeing in the spring time.
  • Not used to eating little meals multiple times a day, I had to get used to always having something ready for me to eat in order to not get extremely hungry. Hungry Danielly = Moody, Emotional and Irrational Danielly.
  • I became obsessed with Chipotle and very much disliked the fact that the closest one to us was 65 miles away.
  • Confession: I thought pregnancy books were super boring.
  • I was so thankful for family and friends who so kindly shared advice about pregnancy, labor, birth and life with a newborn when I felt lost and completely unprepared to become a mom.
  • Candied ginger became a normal part of my diet.
  • Unfortunately, my hand joints hurt so bad and so often that John had to masage my hands with Icy Hot so I could go to sleep at night.
  • John tried so hard to be patient with me when I was a complete emotional mess. I am so thankful I get to be his wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails