Thursday, May 6, 2010

Total Dependence on God

Are you someone who likes to take care of yourself and not need to depend on others? Do you have the 'I can do it myself attitude'?

I am like that.

My parents tell me that I was very independent as a small child. I liked to figure things out on my own.

Although there are positive aspects to being an independent person, most of the time that kind of independence has caused me to turn my back to God. I start behaving like I can do 'life' on my own and I will call on God only if I need it REALLY bad.

Oh, but I am learning that is not the way things aught to be. I am learning that God's desire is for me to humble myself and admit that without him I can do nothing.

But...

... "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

I was talking about this topic with John last night. I admitted that maybe it is a good thing I don't have a job right now - because I think I would be very tempted to act as if I no longer needed John. After all, I would have my own money. At this point in life, I am starting to see the many different ways that I depend on John. While a part of me enjoys this reliance, another part is terrified. There is a part of me that fears not having John anymore (for one reason or another). When I think about that I come to the conclusion that I would be very much alone!

I went to sleep last night thinking about that. Realizing that my hope should come from the Lord and the Lord only. No job, house, car, vacation, health insurance, retirement plan can take the place of God in my life.

This morning I opened my bible study and today's title was written in big letters: Total Dependence on God.

Coincidence? I think not!

The study stated:

"To go to others for help instead of your Father is to live a life of woe.

Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help
And rely on horses,
And trust in chariots because they are many
And in horsemen because they are very strong,
But they do not look to the Holy One of Israel, nor seek the LORD!
Isaiah 31:1


To rely on yourself is to live in a stony wilderness.

This is what the LORD says:

Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD. He will be like a bush in the wastelands; he will not see prosperity when it comes. He will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a salt land where no-one lives.

Jeremiah 17:5-6

But to live in total dependence on God is to be blessed.

But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.

He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.
Jeremiah 17:7-8"

The book of Matthew tells us to seek God first, and this is something I need to work on. This is something I always have to work on, because it is so easy to get distracted.

For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:42-34

We are to do our job and let God do His! I will mess up every time I try to do His job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails