Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Scary Step

I meet with a group of young ladies on Sundays and we are currently reading the book Do Hard Things: ATeenage Rebellion Against Low Expectation by Alex and Brett Harris.

Although this book is targeted to teenagers, I find myself feeling like the authors are describing me in their book.

The current chapter is about getting out of our comfort zones and doing the hard, scary things. I wish you all would read this chapter.

I was first convicted when the authors explained that we stay away from hard things because they are scary - and we allow fear to control us.

"What we're saying is that we don't want to do things that don't come easily or naturally. We don't want to break through our fears. And by our actions, we're also saying that God isn't good and powerful enough to help us do what we can't comfortably do on our own."

How many times have I behaved this way?

Believe me, it happens all the time.

I am afraid of not being good at something, so I don't do it. I am afraid I will fail and look foolish. I am afraid of what others will think of me.

And so I wait for the fear to go away - knowing that it won't.

"The truth, though, is that it's going to be a long wait. If we're waiting until the fear and feelings of inadequacy go away, we'll never venture outside our comfort zones. Until we take a step in spite our fears, none of us will ever truly be able to do hard things. If we continue to grow and learn for the rest of our lives, we must beat these fears - not by making them go away, but by recognizing that there is something worse than discomfort, worse than the unknown, worse than failure. The worse thing is to never try at all."

Does this inspire you to try?

It sure inspires me!

I want to act in spite of my fears. I want to trust God.

I want to live according to Corrie ten Boom's motto: "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."

Isn't that a great reminder? I can trust God with the big unknowns of life. I can rely on him to guide me through anything - even my fears.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post. It sounds like an incredible book, and something I could definitely learn from right now. Thank you for sharing with me Danielly :) I love you very much, and I am so thankful to have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails