Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Put the Phone Away

I got a smart phone almost a year ago and I had never really cared to get one because I didn't need one. I was 100% happy with my old phone which allowed me to make phone calls and text. That was all I needed. Life was simple. However, my phone started having issues and would not receive phone calls at times...or would just shut down without any warning.

After doing some research, I found out that it was going to be cheaper to get a smart phone than to buy a feature phone through a provider. What makes a smart phone expensive is the data plan. John has a great data plan that is no longer offered to customers and he was able to add me to his plan for a decent price. So, I got a smart phone. 

Since acquiring a smart phone, my brain has become dumber because I don't have to remember half the amount of things I used to. I can get anywhere with the help of the built in GPS and maps app and I can email photos of Sariah to the world (I am sure our family members are tired of those emails).  

While a smart phone has many positives, it can also be a HUGE distraction! 

The phone is constantly reminding me that I have an unread email or I just received a text message or I scheduled an appointment for two days from now or someone's birthday is coming up. All these things can be helpful, but at times it feels like my phone is constantly demanding my attention. 

I see people on their phones all the time, everywhere and I seems that we have become our phone's slaves. This bothers me as I enjoy spending time with people. Nothing is better than face-to-face time. 

I have tried to spend time with people when I am with people. I put the phone away and choose to be present...but from time to time, I take a look at my phone to check one thing, usually the time, and then I peek in to see a few emails and check the text message I received...and then I am off to the smart phone land where people are ignored. 

I want to be better at putting the phone away and letting it stay away. I want to enjoy my time with others and be the master of my smart phone. I highly encourage you to do the same!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails