Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I am Convinced This was Written for Me


So Are You?
Joel Anderson - By Senior Pastor, Harvest Orlando, Florida


"Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. - Hebrews 10:24-25


Are you an encouraging person? Do you say encouraging things? Do you show it? When’s the last time, the last person you encouraged? Would you be willing to bring that question to another person? Why ask? Because there are times when we just don’t see it—we don’t realized that our “encouragement” is anything but that. What do I mean? Here are some examples:


 “Well at least you’re not as fat as you used to be.”


“With all the mistakes you’ve made, this one really isn’t one you should be concerned about.”


“You probably were just never meant to be the top sales person. Why don’t you stop trying to be the best and just be who God made you to be.”


“Those other kids are just a lot more naturally talented than you are. It wasn’t really a fair game.”


Maybe you chuckled at one of those, but most of them are things I’ve heard. Certainly it is true at times that the heart and intent of the person offering the “encouragement” meant well, but simply executed poorly. We get stingy with our encouragement or say enough on the positive side of the ledger “to count” as encouragement, but then lace it with the arsenic of an attitude or a partial praise as seen in the statements above.


So can I encourage us to encourage one another? Would you think with me about what our families and fellowship might look like if we walked alongside one another in a more intentional manner . . . if there were fewer “stiffs” and more people embracing one another, acting lovingly toward each other, as I think Christ would desire for us. 


Listen up . . . even the men. I’m thankful my dad was never afraid to hug me.  Dad, your kids need the encouragement of both — your concern and your affection. Even today, whenever I’m greeted by my former pastor at Harvest in Rolling Meadows, he kisses my cheek or head. While I’m not suggesting that’s the bulls-eye, (for some a huge sigh!) I am suggesting that the encouragement of others is a vital ministry and calling for the church. It is a powerful gift that gives life and hope and even healing to the family of God.


Journal:
  • As I look at my recent behavior at church, would I say that I’m an “encourager” or a “stiff?”
  • How do I respond when people try to encourage me?
Prayer: Father, help me to embrace what You say in Your Word so that others will know I am a follower of Jesus Christ. Help my actions and words to be encouraging to others for no other reason than because it brings You glory! In Jesus’ name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails