Monday, January 11, 2010

Image Bearer of God

After being gone a lot for the holidays, I am so excited to be back to our regular weekly schedule!

Yesterday was a regular Sunday – church, bible study meetings and a relaxing evening.

My thirsty spirit was overjoyed to be sitting among our church family, singing praise songs to God and learning from His word. The focus of the message came from the book of Genesis.

“Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” V26

Two main points stood out from that passage.

1. Notice that God said “Let us make man in our image.” I had never noticed the presence of the Trinity in this verse.
2. We are not made like the other creatures in the earth – which were made “according to their kinds.” Instead, we are made to bear the image of God.

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” V. 27

For some reason, the fact that we are created to be image bearers of God touched my heart in a special way yesterday. This fact alone gave me an identity. It gave me purpose.

Again and again I struggle to focus on Jesus and his plans for my life. I often feel like I am not good enough and as a result I feel somewhat lost in this world. However, God’s words clearly state that I was created to represent God.

Can you feel the weight of responsibly while thinking about being the image of God to others?

How often have I misrepresented the Lord? How many times have I acted in the way contrary to His nature?

Praise God for his patience, mercy and grace! The more I learn about his purpose for my life, the more I understand that I am nothing without Him. I know that throughout life I will fail at being holy, but I am in awe that God would give me the opportunity to bear his image despite my failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails