Monday, November 11, 2013

Living in the Danger Zone

When John and I found out I was pregnant, we wanted to share our baby news with everyone we knew and we wanted to do it in person, because we wanted to witness the excitement on people's faces. We also wanted to share our baby news as fast as we could because exciting news should ALWAYS be shared! We planned a special way to announce the news to our families and we called the family members and friends that were too far away for us to drive to and we giggled out of joy with them.

And then someone said...

"Oh! You are only 6 weeks along? You are still in the danger zone!"

My smile went away and I began to worry. I worried because I had no idea if our baby was going to make it to full term...I worried because miscarriages are real. I worried because I was in the danger zone.

If I could go back and relive my early pregnancy days, I would worry less and enjoy each day a little more. I would repeat the verses below every morning and I would trust God's plans for our family.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:25-34

God has been teaching me that as Christ's child, I live in the danger zone all-the-time. Living a life of faith is the equivalent of walking into the great unknown! Danger is all around. When I opened my heart and declare to the God of the universe - "Not my will but thine" - I opened my life to all kinds of possibilities. When my desire is to bring glory to God through all circumstances, I have to get ready to bring him glory in the midst of jubilation and devastation. I have to remember that "all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Colossians 1:16-17 Trusting God is hard and it requires me to be vulnerable and humble, but it is in the midst of my nothingness that God shows me exactly how great He is. When I come to him with an abandoned heart, He shows me that the plans He has prepared for me are far better than anything I could come up with on my own. 

Sariah Faith made it to 39 weeks of gestation and was born full of life and personality. I have celebrated every day of life with her because every day with her is a gift, but I am still following Christ; asking Him to be the lamp unto my feet and the light unto my path. In other words, I am still living in the danger zone, asking him to lead me where my trust is without borders, having faith that I do not have to worry about anything.

So, here I go..."Highway to the Danger Zone...Gonna take you...Right into the Danger Zone...Highway to the Danger Zone..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails