Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Life with a Baby: Diaper Rash

Sariah had her first diaper rash a week ago and I had no idea what to do.

I had been using cloth diapers on her during the day and disposables at night or when we went out. I only use disposable wipes when we are out, otherwise I use cloth wipes and water with a bit of witch hazel.

She had never had a reaction to anything before.

After reading everything I could find on how to deal with diaper rashes, I decided to give Sariah a bath in the morning right after she pooped. I added about 1/2 a cup of baking powder to her bath water and let her splash around. I then put a hospital pad on her floor mat, turned on a room heater and let her play naked. She absolutely loved every minute of her play time!

I rubbed coconut oil on her constantly, but the redness was not looking any better.

I stripped all the cloth diapers (processing of removing any chemical build up on diapers) and cloth wipes.

While the cloth diapers were bring stripped, I used disposable diapers - but I used cornstarch as baby powder to absorb any moisture that could cause the rash to get worse.

While trying to find other solutions to the diaper rash problem, I read that lanolin was great at healing rashes...and I decided to give it a try.

Right before bedtime, I rubbed a little bit of lanolin on Sariah and used a disposable diaper. To my surprise, the diaper rash was 80% better in the morning!! I used the lanolin a few more times during the day (with disposable diapers because I didn't want the cream to make the cloth diapers water repellent) and the diaper rash was completely gone by bedtime.

I will definitely use lanolin as a diaper rash cream from now on!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails